Monday 2 May 2011

The Royal Wedding

I have been asked for my thoughts on the royal wedding so often these past few days; but its difficult to add a great deal of meaning when so much has been written. So in no particular order, here we go (in no particular order...)

  • Would I have liked to be the photographer? No, No and No...well, maybe! Obviously post-wedding sales should have been fab! But the second-by-second schedule would have scared me to death! I much prefer a more relaxed, free flowing kind of day!
  • Yes, Catherine looked absolutely stunning! Loved the fact that it was a British designer (Sarah Burton / Alexander McQueen), loved the lace sleeves and the modest detailing on the bodice but most of all, loved the way Catherine brought it to life - which is exactly what I hope for when I'm capturing my weddings. The price of the dress is less the issue than the confidence and personality of the bride wearing it - it makes such a difference. A wedding dress isn't everyday wear so its difficult sometimes for a bride to feel truly comfortable wearing it, but Catherine was working it beautifully!
  • Loved the hats - are they making a come back? I hope so - wedding hats are SO part of the story!
  • Perfect make up: Brides, now you know the secret - Catherine's skin looked fresh and natural, achieved by Lancome's Teint Miracle foundation (great for flash photography), a hint of blusher and day-time appropriate eye make up - keep it light and try to ignore the wedding magazines when they say to over make up for the pictures...
  • Loved the bouquet - every flower tells a story & each stem was chosen for a reason - I really like that attention to detail. Just like the car, it is these small touches that make the day unique, even though as a ceremony is follows a generations-old pattern.
  • Pictures: Credit to the photographer. The formal groups are very formal but beautiful delivered & when the opportunity arose for a more relaxed shot, he had that covered too.
So just a snap shot of thoughts. I'm looking forward to see how much Catherine's day influences future weddings, but most of all, I really pleased that the couple had such a lovely day. When we strip away all the pomp and ceremony, we are left with a couple who looked very much in love, very close & supportive of each other. Its capturing that impression that makes being a wedding photographer such a great job. So yes, on reflection, I would have liked the commission!

No comments:

Post a Comment